World of Warcraft
Long ago, on the world of Argus, the brilliant and magically gifted eredar race drew the attention of Sargeras, the Destroyer of Worlds. Sargeras offered untold power to the three leaders of the eredar–Kil’jaeden, Archimonde and Velen–in exchange for their unquestioning loyalty. A troubling vision soon came to Velen, who saw the eredar transformed into unspeakable demons–the first sentient members of the Legion, which would grow to immense size and decimate all life. Despite Velen’s warnings, Kil’jaeden and Archimonde decided to accept Sargeras’ offer. Velen despaired at his former friends’ decision and prayed for help. To his surprise and relief, he was answered by one of the benevolent naaru. These energy beings had, like Velen, foreseen the formation of the Burning Legion.
The naaru offered to shepherd Velen and other believers to refuge. Velen quietly gathered those of his fellow eredar who seemed trustworthy and dubbed them the draenei, or “exiled ones.” As Sargeras returned to Argus and transformed many willing eredar into demons, the draenei narrowly escaped their homeworld. Furious, Kil’jaeden vowed to track Velen to the ends of creation. Even as the Burning Legion chased the draenei across the cosmos, the naaru instructed the exiles in the way of the Light. Deeply affected, the draenei vowed to honor the Light and uphold the naaru’s ideals. In time the draenei settled on a remote world and met the shamanistic orcs who inhabited it. The draenei came to call their new home Draenor or “Exiles’ Refuge.”
Kil’jaeden continued to hunt the exiles, however, and he eventually learned of the idyllic world and its unsuspecting inhabitants. Working through the shaman Ner’zhul, the demon lord gradually began corrupting the orcs. When Ner’zhul refused to serve the Legion’s agenda past a certain point, Kil’jaeden turned to Ner’zhul’s apprentice. Gul’dan worked the orcs into a frenzy of bloodlust, and the newly formed Horde began slaughtering the peaceful draenei. The orcish campaign against the draenei was brutally effective. Over eighty percent of the draenei race was destroyed, though a small group of survivors remained, including the noble Velen. The orcs went on to invade Azeroth through Medivh’s Dark Portal.
You are one of the few draenei left trying to hold true and stay alive.
- +2 Spirit, +2 Intellect, -2 Agility. The Draenei up until now have spent years of running and hiding from The Burning Legion and have learned much over their travels. Thanks to the Naaru the Draenei have been blessed with the gift of The Light. Their large sizes tend to make them slower than other races.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, draenei have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Type: Humanoid Extraplanar subtype
- Draenei base speed is 30 feet.
- Darkvision: A draenei can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white, but it is otherwise like normal sight.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks related to gems or jewels and Craft checks related to gems or jewels.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against fel energy spells. The Draenei have attuned their bodies to be almost immune to the demonic energies that have plagued their brethren.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Eredun. Unlike other races, knowledge of Eredun causes no Spirit damage, and does not force the draenei’s alignment to change.
- Bonus Languages: Thalassian, Low Common, and Orcish. The Draenei use to live in harmony with the orcs and have learned the orcs language, as well as the Blood Elvves now in Outland.
- Favored Class: Paladin. A multiclass draenei’s paladin class does not count when determining whether he suffers an experience point penalty for multiclassing (see Chapter 3: Classes, “Multiclass Characters,” XP for Multiclass Characters.